When the Gschwandner was founded in 1838 it was a modest “Heuriger” that soon became one of the largest Viennese wine taverns. In the late 19th century the so-called “Grand Etablissement Gschwandner” went down in the history of Vienna’s suburbs as one of the liveliest Viennese entertainment venues. In the pre-television era it offered varied and popular entertainment for all classes of society such as concerts, balls for washermaids and cabbies, cinematographic presentations, gardening exhibitions and boxing fights.
The book reviews the former phenomenon of the Grand Etablissement and covers the time until the reopening of the Gschwandner.
Mit Beiträgen von Erich Bernard, Astrid Göttche, Barbara Mahlknecht, Siegfried Mattl, Elke Krasny, Wolfgang H. Salcher, Werner Schwarz, Wolfgang Thaler